Report: Leafs' Mikheyev requested trade, club not interested in moving him
The club made it clear they do not want to accommodate the request and have told Mikheyev they consider him a key part of the team moving forward, Friedman adds.
The 26-year-old put together an impressive rookie campaign in 2019-20, racking up eight goals and 15 assists in 39 games. However, it was cut short after he suffered a significant laceration to his wrist from a skate.
Last season, Mikheyev was largely relegated to a bottom-six role, averaging 14:13 minutes of ice time per game while contributing 17 points in 54 contests.
Entering the upcoming season, Mikheyev could find himself elevated into a top-six role with the departures of left-wingers Zach Hyman and Joe Thornton, but will likely have to compete with new arrivals Nick Ritchie and Michael Bunting for the vacant spot.
- Blackhawks legend Bobby Hull dies at 84
- NHL Power Rankings: Each team's best player not attending the All-Star Game
- NHL Monday best bets: Jets to rebound vs. struggling Blues
- Aho extends goal streak to 4 as Hurricanes hand Bruins 3rd straight loss
- Tavares collects 2 points in 1,000th game to help Leafs beat Capitals