Perry: Elbow to Ellis' head was 'very unintentional'
"I've played with Ryan before. I know him personally. It's very unintentional," Perry said postgame, according to ESPN's Greg Wyshynski. "I didn't mean to hurt him. I hope he's OK."
The 34-year-old will have a hearing on Friday, the NHL Department of Player Safety announced on Wednesday.
"It was an awkward play. I reached up to try and deflect the puck," Perry added. "It's unfortunate."
Perry is a repeat offender as he's been suspended twice before; his last incident came in 2013 when he was handed a four-game ban for an illegal hit on Minnesota Wild forward Jason Zucker.
- Blackhawks legend Bobby Hull dies at 84
- NHL Power Rankings: Each team's best player not attending the All-Star Game
- NHL Monday best bets: Jets to rebound vs. struggling Blues
- Surprising Kraken relishing rise in thick of playoff race
- Aho extends goal streak to 4 as Hurricanes hand Bruins 3rd straight loss