Cavs sign Wade to 3-year, $18.5M extension
Wade was set to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
The 25-year-old joined the Cavs on a two-way contract after going undrafted out of Kansas State in 2019. He spent most of his rookie season with the club's G League affiliate, averaging 14.2 points, 7.5 boards, 2.4 assists, and 1.3 blocks across 30 appearances with the Canton Charge.
Wade signed a multi-year contract with Cleveland following the 2019-20 season and has since earned a regular role in J.B. Bickerstaff's rotation, registering 5.7 points per contest, shooting 36.3% from deep, and starting 47 games over the past two campaigns.
Wade's ability to guard multiple positions made the Cavs a stingier unit. Cleveland surrendered 5.8 more points per 100 possessions when Wade wasn't on the floor, according to NBA.com.
- LeBron: I'm 'disappointed' Lakers didn't trade for Kyrie
- Trading for Kyrie is a gamble the Mavs couldn't afford not to make
- Report: Nets rejected CP3 offer from Suns, Lakers' 1st-rounders for Kyrie
- NBA Podcast: Breaking down the Kyrie Irving trade, Warriors lose Curry
- NBA Rookie of the Year rankings: Banchero rolling as All-Star break nears