Homa, Cantlay face upsets in Round of 16 at WGC Match Play
Two more tournament favorites are heading home early in Austin.
A pair of top-five seeds in Max Homa and Patrick Cantlay were eliminated in the Round of 16 at the WGC Match Play on Saturday morning.
Here are the full results:
- No. 50 Mackenzie Hughes 3&2 over No. 5 Max Homa
- No. 13 Sam Burns 2&1 over No. 4 Patrick Cantlay
- No. 32 Jason Day 1UP over No. 59 Matt Kuchar
- No. 1 Scottie Scheffler 1UP over No. 43 J.T. Poston
- No. 6 Xander Schauffele 3&2 over No. 61 J.J. Spaun
- No. 3 Rory McIlroy 2UP over No. 46 Lucas Herbert
- No. 19 Kurt Kitayama 6&5 over No. 56 Andrew Putnam
- No. 15 Cameron Young 5&4 over No. 22 Billy Horschel
McIlroy and Schauffele enter the Elite Eight as two of the three highest seeds but will be pitted against each other in a must-see match during Saturday afternoon's quarterfinals. Since it's a bracket format, there's no reseeding.
Here are the full matchups:
- No. 3 McIlroy vs. No. 6 Schauffele
- No. 1 Scheffler vs. No. 32 Day
- No. 13 Burns vs. No. 50 Hughes
- No. 15 Young vs. No. 19 Kitayama
Scheffler nearly made it three top-five players to be eliminated. He trailed Poston by two through 14 holes but finished with three straight birdies to avoid the upset.
Kuchar's bid to set the all-time tournament record for wins came to an end when he fell to the red-hot Day. He tied Tiger Woods on Friday with 36 victories, but this is the final year of the WGC Match Play.
The semis and final will be played Sunday.