Red Wings' Franzen suffering weekly 'setbacks,' still aiming to play in opener

Rick Osentoski / USA TODAY Sports

Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen says he's still dealing with symptoms of the concussion that ended his season prematurely last winter, but his goal remains being cleared for the 2015-16 opener next month.

The 35-year-old joined his teammates for an informal skate Wednesday, and said afterward that, although he has setbacks every week, he's aiming to play in Detroit's season opener, according to Brad Galli of WXYZ-TV Detroit.

The Red Wings have made no guarantees to Franzen, who was limited to 33 games in 2014-15 after suffering a concussion in January.

Franzen said he's making progress every week, but the 10-year veteran also told reporters he had to go home and sleep for the rest of the day following a four-hour workout last week.

The 2004 third-round pick hasn't considered the possibility of retirement.

"Never got there," he said. "I want to go out on my terms."

General manager Ken Holland said last month that he expects Franzen to be cleared when he takes his physical at training camp.

Comments
Red Wings' Franzen suffering weekly 'setbacks,' still aiming to play in opener
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!

Daily Newsletter

Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox