Forwards Jarnkrok, Kerfoot play defense for injury-riddled Leafs
The Toronto Maple Leafs were forced to play the duo on defense in their preseason game against the Montreal Canadiens when Jordie Benn and Carl Dahlstrom went down with a groin and a shoulder injury, respectively. Head coach Sheldon Keefe confirmed postgame that both are expected to miss "some time."
Keefe opted for the move with Toronto having just four healthy defensemen. In addition to Benn and Dahlstrom, Timothy Liljegren is out until at least early November following hernia surgery, while Rasmus Sandin remains unsigned.
Toronto begins its regular season Oct. 12 against the Canadiens.
- Marner continues record run as Leafs blank Kings for 2nd straight shutout
- Maple Leafs' Robertson to miss significant time with shoulder injury
- Gaudreau: I didn't string Flames along in free-agency decision
- Examining trade scenarios for 3 high-profile players
- Maple Leafs' Brodie returns after 12-game absence