Flames' Lucic ejected for running Oilers' Smith behind the net
The incident occurred midway through the third period with Calgary trailing 4-0. A melee followed the collision.
Lucic won't face supplemental discipline for the hit, reports ESPN's Emily Kaplan. The veteran enforcer has been suspended four times in his career.
Concussion spotters initially removed Smith from the game, but he returned shortly after.
Flames head coach Darryl Sutter said he believes the collision would've been much worse had Lucic intended to injure Smith.
"They called it charging, correct? Could you imagine if (Lucic) did charge, what would happen there? He actually tried to slow it down a little bit, I think," Sutter told reporters postgame. "It is what it is. It's the score and who it was. That's what they called."
- Marner sets Maple Leafs record with 19-game point streak
- Blues head coach: Binnington's antics have 'got to stop'
- Habs' Edmundson ejected for cross-checking Oilers' Hyman in the head
- Canucks' Demko to miss about 6 weeks with lower-body injury
- McDavid, Draisaitl combine for 8 points as Oilers edge Canadiens