Devils' Hughes unable to return vs. Islanders after hit from Wahlstrom
There was no update on Hughes' status after the game, according to team beat reporter Amanda Stein.
Wahlstrom laid out Hughes in the Islanders' zone during the second frame. He appeared to extend his knee and Hughes' leg seemed to take the brunt of the impact. The young star left the ice with the help of a trainer.
Hughes returned soon after and played a shift but appeared to struggle to put weight on his leg. He ultimately exited the game again.
Here's a closer look at the hit:
Devils defenseman P.K. Subban took exception to the hit and was ejected from the contest after dropping the gloves with Wahlstrom.
The veteran blue-liner received two minutes for instigating, five minutes for fighting, a 10-minute misconduct, and a game misconduct for his actions, per Stein.
Hughes is in the midst of a breakout season and has put up 26 goals and 30 assists in 49 games, both career highs.
The 20-year-old missed 17 games after dislocating his shoulder in October. He was also sidelined for an additional three contests due to COVID-19 protocol in February after participating in the 2022 All-Star Game.
- Islanders strike twice in 22 seconds to hand Flyers 10th straight loss
- Hellebuyck calls for rule change: Refs 'put me in danger' vs. Stars
- Lindy Ruff gets 800th win as Devils beat Capitals
- Georgiev's 41-save performance lifts Avalanche past Stars
- Burakovsky scores twice as Kraken get 1st-ever win over Golden Knights