Report: Blues, Hurricanes join Chychrun sweepstakes
The St. Louis Blues and Carolina Hurricanes are apparently among the latest teams considered serious contenders to acquire Arizona Coyotes defenseman Jakob Chychrun ahead of the March 21 trade deadline.
"At this point, eight teams are seriously in the chase for Jakob Chychrun," TSN's Darren Dreger reported on Tuesday's "Insider Trading."
"It's Florida, it's L.A., it's Boston, it's St. Louis, it's Carolina, it's Anaheim among the primary suitors."
Chychrun finished 10th in Norris Trophy voting last campaign after leading all NHL defensemen with 18 goals. He's in the midst of a down season with 16 points in 44 games. However, his underlying numbers over a three-year sample size remain stellar:
The Coyotes are reportedly asking for a return similar to what the Buffalo Sabres received for Jack Eichel earlier this season. The Sabres traded Eichel and a 2023 third-round pick to the Vegas Golden Knights for Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, a 2022 first-round selection, and a conditional 2023 second-round pick.
Chychrun, 23, is signed for three more seasons at a $4.6-million cap hit, per CapFriendly. Arizona selected him 16th overall at the 2016 NHL Draft.
- Hyman scores 3 as Oilers smash Hurricanes for 5th straight win
- Malkin laments ice-cold power play after loss to Bolts: 'We don't have confidence'
- Kane to make Red Wings debut Thursday vs. Sharks
- Promising Stars prospect Logan Stankoven may be small, but all he does is score
- Blue Jackets trade Robinson to Sabres