Islanders' Barzal, Chara day-to-day with injuries
Barzal has a lower-body ailment, while Chara is dealing with an upper-body injury. They're unavailable for the Islanders' contest against the Anaheim Ducks on Sunday night.
Barzal got tangled up with Kings forward Phillip Danault along the boards in Los Angeles' zone halfway through the middle frame; his ankle appeared to get caught underneath him. The 24-year-old seemed to initially have trouble putting weight on his left leg and had to be helped off the ice.
Barzal returned for a shift, but he left the game and didn't come back for the third period.
Chara was also missing from the Islanders' bench in the final frame. He went to the locker room shortly after hitting Kings forward Blake Lizotte midway through the second period.
Heading into Saturday's matchup, Barzal led all Islanders skaters with 36 points in 44 games. Chara, meanwhile, recently set the NHL record for games played by a defenseman.
- Coyotes hammer Capitals to complete 5-game win streak vs. recent champs
- Report: 2024-25 NHL salary cap projected to be $87.7M
- Vasilevskiy's 1st shutout of season helps Bolts end 4-game skid vs. Stars
- NHL Power Rankings: Each team's biggest surprise so far
- Brossoit's 42-save effort propels Jets to victory over Hurricanes