Report: Blues expressed interest in Chara
The Blues have been targeting a veteran defenseman on the open market this offseason after losing blue-liner Vince Dunn to the Seattle Kraken in the expansion draft.
The club also inquired about Ryan Suter before he signed with the Dallas Stars, Rutherford added.
Chara, 44, played with the Washington Capitals last season on a one-year deal and proved he still has what it takes to be a capable defenseman. He averaged 18:19 of ice time per game and racked up 10 points, 88 hits, and 67 blocked shots across 55 contests.
Being close to his family is Chara's top priority in deciding where he'll play next campaign, a source told Rutherford. Chara reportedly chose to sign with the Capitals last season due to the club's proximity to his family, who remain in Boston.
- Bolts deal McDonagh to Preds, agent calls client's departure 'crushing'
- Boeser opens up about last season's struggles, eager to bounce back
- Jackets GM: Laine's contract status won't affect draft weekend plans
- Jets officially name Rick Bowness head coach
- Report: Flyers prospect detained for planning to evade military service