Chara becomes 5th defenseman to play 1,600 NHL games
Zdeno Chara joined some elite company on Saturday.
The Washington Capitals blue-liner became the fifth defenseman in NHL history to reach the 1,600-game mark.
Chelios, Stevens, Murphy, and Bourque are all enshrined in the Hockey Hall of Fame.
The veteran signed a one-year deal with the Capitals in the offseason after spending 14 campaigns with the Boston Bruins, with whom he won a Stanley Cup, Norris Trophy, and Mark Messier Leadership Award. Before his run with the Bruins, he spent four years apiece with the Ottawa Senators and New York Islanders.
- Avs eliminate Blues on Helm's late winner, advance to West final vs. Oilers
- Marchand out 6 months after undergoing surgery on both hips
- 4 skaters who could tilt Game 6 of Hurricanes-Rangers series
- McDavid and Draisaitl have already authored legendary postseasons
- Coleman confused by disallowed goal ruling: 'I didn't feel like I kicked it'