Report: Raiders' O'Connell to start vs. Chargers with Garoppolo out
Las Vegas Raiders rookie quarterback Aidan O'Connell is set to receive his first career start Sunday against the Los Angeles Chargers with Jimmy Garoppolo not available due to a concussion, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
O'Connell was drafted in the fourth round of the 2023 NFL Draft. The rookie received the majority of the first-team practice reps by the end of the week, per Schefter. He receives the start over veteran backup Brian Hoyer.
Garoppolo remains in concussion protocol after being a limited participant in practice Thursday and Friday. Garoppolo won't travel with the team for its Week 4 contest.
Head coach Josh McDaniels announced that Garoppolo would enter the league's protocol after experiencing concussion symptoms following last week's loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. He played throughout the Week 3 matchup and McDaniels noted that the veteran signal-caller didn't indicate he had a concussion during the game.
Garoppolo will miss his first start since joining the Silver and Black as a free agent this past offseason. The Eastern Illinois product has thrown for 709 yards, five touchdowns, and six interceptions with an 81.4 passer rating.
Cornerback Nate Hobbs will also not travel with the club and has been ruled out as he deals with an ankle injury.
- NFL Power Rankings - Week 14: Players who must step up down the stretch
- Jaguars' Lawrence exits with reported ankle sprain in OT loss to Bengals
- Report: Patriots' Stevenson to miss time with high ankle sprain
- Bengals' Taylor: Browning 'lit the world on fire' during standout MNF game
- Browning steals spotlight as Bengals stun Jaguars with OT win on MNF