Report: Will Ferrell in talks to play John Madden in new film
Will Ferrell could be taking on the role of NFL legend John Madden in an upcoming film.
The 55-year-old actor is in talks to portray Madden in "Madden," a feature film for Amazon/MGM that will be directed by five-time Academy Award nominee David O. Russell, Deadline's Matt Grobar reports.
"Madden" will focus on Madden's friendship with former Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis and his post-coaching life as a broadcaster, product endorser, and video game icon, according to Grobar. It's based on a 2022 Black List script by Cambron Clark, though Russell was reportedly working on a rewrite before the Writers Guild of America strike began earlier in May.
Madden will also be the subject of a limited series that was announced earlier this year. Tom Brady is producing that project.
Madden was head coach of the Raiders from 1969-78, leading the franchise to its first Super Bowl title in 1977. He died in December 2021 at the age of 85.
- Report: Panthers expected to target Lions' Johnson for head coaching vacancy
- Young won't blame Reich for Panthers' struggles: 'We all share in that'
- Rodgers returns to practice after Jets open 21-day window
- Flacco could start Week 13 after being named Browns QB2
- Zappe, Cunningham only Pats QBs to throw during practice