Report: Payton building coaching staff, targets Fangio as DC
Former New Orleans Saints sideline boss Sean Payton is building an 'All-Star' coaching staff as he prepares for a potential return to the NFL, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Payton is targeting former Denver Broncos head coach Vic Fangio as a possible defensive coordinator on his crew, Schefter adds.
The former Saints coach stepped away from his position after leading New Orleans for 15 seasons, though he left the door open for an NFL return. Payton reiterated his desire to coach again earlier this month, saying he thinks a comeback could happen "sooner than later" on Tom Brady's "Let's Go!" podcast.
However, any team fetching Payton, who is still under the Saints' control contractually, will have to make him one of the league's highest-paid coaches and provide New Orleans with draft pick compensation, Schefter reports.
Fangio has built a reputation for his work on the defensive side of the ball. He last served as head coach of the Broncos from 2019-21 but was dismissed after the club failed to post a winning record in each of his three years at the helm.
- 49ers' Lynch 'incredibly encouraged' after Purdy's 1st throwing session
- Pats' Slater questions NFL's reasoning for kickoff rule change
- Packers debate term 'rebuild' as they adjust to life without Rodgers
- Jets' Saleh hopes Rodgers will fully practice Friday after straining calf
- Breakout or fakeout: Which 2022 breakout defensive stars are for real?