Watch: Panda hits 3-run shot for 1st home run of season
Pablo Sandoval capped off a five-run Red Sox eighth inning in style by swatting a three-run homer off Detroit Tigers closer Francisco Rodriguez. Boston had failed to score before the eighth, and Sandoval's jack temporarily turned the tide before Detroit retook the lead in the bottom of the inning.
The home run was not only Sandoval's first of the season, but his first since Aug. 15, 2015 in his first campaign with the Red Sox.
The long ball upped his season average to .250 and was his second extra-base hit of the day after hitting a double in the fifth inning.
(Video courtesy: MLB.com)
- Doncic, Irving hope full season together will erase rushed debut
- Marlins rally in 9th inning over Mets before rain causes suspension
- Bedard dazzles in preseason debut: 'I could be a lot better'
- Montgomery's 3 TDs lead Lions past Packers on TNF
- Braves clinch home-field through playoffs with sweep of slumping Cubs