UMass hires Arizona DC Don Brown as new head coach
Don Brown is heading back to UMass.
Brown, 66, will coach his final game with Arizona on Saturday against Arizona State, sources told Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports.
The Massachusetts native coached UMass from 2004-08, posting a 43-19 record. He joined Arizona this year after serving as Jim Harbaugh's defensive coordinator at Michigan from 2016-20.
Brown was also head coach at Plymouth State (1993-95) and Northeastern (2000-03). He owns a career record of 95-45.
UMass fired head coach Walt Bell and defensive coordinator Tommy Restivo on Nov. 7 after starting the season 1-8. The Minutemen, who will close their 2021 campaign versus New Mexico State on Saturday, have lost two games with Alex Miller as their interim coach since firing Bell.
- Big Ten signs 7-year media deal with CBS, Fox, NBC for reported $7B
- Power 5 preview: Each Big Ten team's key word for the 2022 season
- FIU's Luke Knox, brother of Bills' Dawson Knox, dies at 22
- Report: CFP board ponders breaking football away from NCAA governance
- Power 5 preview: Most important name for each Big 12 team