Report: Vogel had approval from Lakers to bench Westbrook
The point guard sat the last three minutes and 42 seconds of the Lakers' disappointing 111-104 home loss to the Indiana Pacers. He was 5-for-17 at the time of his benching.
Westbrook went into the locker room with 8.4 seconds remaining on the clock, and sources say he left the arena before many of his teammates were done showering.
Vogel reportedly had full approval from team management to tinker with Westbrook's minutes however he wanted, but never resorted to benching him until Wednesday.
When asked about the decision, Vogel told reporters he was "playing the guys that I thought were going to win the game."
Vogel's job has been on thin ice lately, with reports coming out that his position is being evaluated on a game-by-game basis.
The Lakers dropped to 22-23 with the loss, their fourth in five games. The team is now in a tie for the eighth seed in the Western Conference with the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Luka keeps faith with Mavs down 3-1: 'I still believe we can win'
- Luka, Mavericks extend West finals with Game 4 win over Warriors
- Jokic, Curry highlight 2021-22 All-NBA Teams
- Report: Teams asking Lakers for 1st-rounder in Westbrook trade talks
- Warriors, Mavs delayed 16 minutes by leaky roof after halftime