Morant diagnosed with knee sprain following preliminary imaging
The Grizzlies did not provide a timetable for Morant's return but said that updates will be "provided as appropriate."
Morant injured his knee in the first quarter Friday against the Atlanta Hawks and was ruled out for the rest of the matchup.
He was dribbling near the Hawks' paint when he suddenly pulled up in discomfort and quickly passed the ball away. After sitting on the court momentarily, he had to be helped to the locker room by Memphis' medical staff.
The 22-year-old later returned to the Grizzlies' bench, though no longer in uniform, according to Evan Barnes of The Commercial Appeal. He was limping but did not need crutches.
Morant entered Friday averaging a career-best 25.3 points through 18 games this season. He's also registering 7.1 assists, 5.8 rebounds, and 1.7 steals per game while playing 33.9 minutes per contest.
The Hawks won the matchup 132-100.
- Report: Nets agree to find new team for Millsap
- Nets fined $25K, assistant Vanterpool docked $10K for interference vs. Wizards
- Report: Vogel had approval from Lakers to bench Westbrook
- Jaren Jackson's defensive leap is powering the Grizzlies' rise
- LeBron surpasses Curry in All-Star fan vote one week before starters announced