Gasol pushing off retirement, signs with 2nd-division Spanish club
Marc Gasol isn't hanging up his sneakers just yet.
The three-time All-Star will play for Basquet Girona - the second-division Spanish basketball club he founded - during the 2021-22 campaign before deciding whether to retire, he announced Thursday, according to The Associated Press.
Gasol spent last season with the Los Angeles Lakers, averaging career lows in points (5 per game) and rebounds (4.1) over 52 appearances. He played for his native Spain alongside his brother, Pau, at last summer's Olympics in Tokyo.
Gasol spent the majority of his NBA career with the Memphis Grizzlies. The 36-year-old earned two All-NBA selections and Defensive Player of the Year honors during his 11-year tenure with the team. He remains the club's all-time leader in rebounds, blocks, free throws, and triple-doubles.
Gasol won an NBA title as a member of the Toronto Raptors in 2019.
- Warriors knock off Trail Blazers but Curry falls short of 3-point record
- Lillard: 'I'm not asking for a trade' amid Trail Blazers' turmoil
- Rockets beat shorthanded Nets for 7th straight win
- The Pacers may finally commit to a direction, but picking one won't be easy
- The night that foreshadowed Steph Curry breaking Ray Allen's threes record