Bagley's agent rips Kings, says they removed client from rotation
"Sacramento has informed Marvin Bagley he is not in the opening night rotation, which is completely baffling," Schwartz said. "It's clear they have no plans for him in the future, and yet, passed on potential deals at last year's deadline and this summer based on 'value.'
"Instead, they chose to bring him back but not pay him, a move completely contradictory to their 'value' argument. This is a case in mismanagement by the Kings organization."
Sacramento drafted Bagley second overall in 2018 ahead of names like Luka Doncic and Trae Young, but the big has struggled to live up to the expectations while also battling injuries. Over three seasons, the 22-year-old has averaged 14.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in 25.5 minutes per game, but those numbers have stagnated since his rookie year.
Falling permanently out of the Kings' rotation could reduce money owed to Bagley in the future, according to ESPN's Bobby Marks. His qualifying offer for 2022-23 will reportedly fall to $7.3 million from $14.8 million if he fails to start 41 games or play at least 2000 minutes this season.
The former Duke standout's father publicly called on the team to trade his son in a since-deleted tweet earlier this year. It was reported in March that Sacramento offered Bagley to the Detroit Pistons for Saddiq Bey, though that proposal was turned down.
The Kings open their 2021-22 season on the road Wednesday against the Portland Trail Blazers.