Gobert wins 3rd career Defensive Player of the Year award
The Frenchman becomes the fourth player in NBA history to capture the honor three times and edged out the Philadelphia 76ers' Ben Simmons and the Golden State Warriors' Draymond Green for this year's award.
"I have an organization, a coaching staff, my teammates that all believe in me every single night and I give them that confidence back and we do it together," Gobert said in a statement.
Gobert's teammates presented him with the trophy in the team's locker room Wednesday.
Here's how the voting broke down.
Gobert averaged 14.3 points on an NBA-leading 67.5% shooting over 71 appearances this season. He also ranked second in the Association in both rebounds (13.5 per game) and blocks (2.7).
The two-time All-Star limited opponents to 41.9% shooting on a league-leading 19.1 defended field-goal attempts per game in 2020-21.
- Report: Rockets aggressively pursuing Pistons' No. 1 pick
- T-Wolves block Hernangomez from Olympics, upsetting Spanish federation
- Dream ignited: How Jonathan Kuminga made his case to be drafted top 5
- Mind the gap: The basketball world is catching up to the U.S.
- Trio of NBA Finals players finally arrives at Tokyo Olympics