Chapman won't face charges for domestic incident

Chapman won't face charges for domestic incident

10 years ago
Eric Hartline / USA TODAY Sports

New York Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman won't face criminal charges in connection with an alleged domestic dispute involving his girlfriend after Broward prosecutors decided Thursday not to file charges.

Broward Assistant State Attorney Stefanie Newman wrote in a close-out memo Wednesday that conflicting accounts and insufficient evidence made a conviction unlikely. Davie police had previously closed the Oct. 30 matter for similar reasons.

"We are all pleased that the Davie Police Department and the Office of the State Attorney took the time to fully investigate the matter and have concluded that charges were not warranted," Chapman's lawyer Paul Molle said, according to Rafael Olmeda of the Sun Sentinel.

Chapman admitted to firing several gunshots in his garage following an October domestic dispute with his girlfriend in which he allegedly pushed and choked her, according to the police report.

The four-time All-Star, who pitched for the Cincinnati Reds at the time, could still be suspended by Major League Baseball, with an announcement expected to come before March 1.

Yankees principal owner Hal Steinbrenner said Wednesday he believes Chapman is "completely innocent until proven otherwise."

Chapman was close to being traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers last month before a deal was nixed after the team learned of the allegations. The Reds traded him to the Yankees three weeks later.

- With files from The Associated Press

XRedditFacebookWhatsAppEmailSMS
MORE STORIES