Report: Nationals interested in reunion with Schwarber
Nationals skipper Dave Martinez said on MLB Network he was hanging out with Schwarber in his hometown Ohio. The meeting comes after Washington's general manager Mike Rizzo recently said the Nationals would try to bring Schwarber back next season.
The 28-year-old is coming off a stellar 2021 campaign, where he combined to hit .266/.374/.554 with 32 home runs and 71 RBIs in 113 games for the Nationals and Boston Red Sox.
Schwarber belted 16 round-trippers during an 18-game stretch for the Nationals from June 12-29 before he was traded to the Red Sox a month later.
In Boston, "Schwarbs" posted a .291/.435/.522 line with seven homers, 10 doubles, and 18 RBIs in 41 games. He also became a popular player in the process thanks to a local joke about where he was from.
Schwarber is expected to generate plenty of interest this winter thanks to a productive 2021 campaign, but he also isn't attached to draft-pick compensation, which should make him more desirable.
- Nevin gets 10-game ban, 11 others from Angels-M's brawl suspended
- MLB Power Rankings: Red Sox, Astros surge ahead while Giants tumble
- Mariners' Servais: People like to see baseball fights, but this 'isn't hockey'
- Mariners acquire Santana from Royals for pair of pitchers
- Rockies' Bryant returns after recovering from back injury