Indians' Francona stepping away to focus on health
Bench coach DeMarlo Hale will take over Francona's role during his absence.
The 62-year-old Francona is expected to have surgery on his toe and hip, according to Zack Meisel of The Athletic. The manager missed a good portion of the 2020 season due to gastrointestinal trouble and blood-clotting issues.
Francona, a two-time World Series champion, has won 1,753 career games with the Indians, Boston Red Sox, and Philadelphia Phillies. He's spent the last nine years with Cleveland, collecting 723 wins.
- Schwarber: 'I'd be all ears' about new deal with Red Sox
- Seager wants to return to Dodgers: 'I believe in what these guys do'
- Matzek savoring Braves' run: 'I was out of baseball in 2017'
- Report: Gray likely seeking 3- or 4-year deal after turning down Rockies offer
- Braves' Rosario named NLCS MVP after record performance