Nats GM doesn't expect Castro back after domestic violence allegations
Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Tuesday he doesn't expect infielder Starlin Castro to return to the team after domestic violence allegations surfaced last week, according to the Washington Post's Jesse Dougherty.
Rizzo added he would shoulder the blame for not vetting Castro enough.
"You've heard me say it a million times, that you read about our guys in the sports section and not the other sections," Rizzo said, per Dougherty. "And this time we failed. I'm responsible for the players that I put on our roster and on the field."
Major League Baseball placed Castro on administrative leave last Friday under the joint MLB-MLBPA domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse policy. The leave is for seven days and can be extended by week-long intervals.
The league is investigating an alleged domestic violence incident that occurred earlier this summer.
"What I told the players when we met with them after we told the team about Castro was, 'We got to do better. We got to do better than this. The whole world has to do better than this, and it's unacceptable.' It's zero tolerance here," Rizzo said.