Nats' Castro on leave amid reported domestic violence investigation

Mitchell Layton / Getty Images Sport / Getty

Major League Baseball placed Washington Nationals infielder Starlin Castro on seven-day administrative leave under the joint MLB-MLBPA domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse policy, the league announced Friday.

MLB is investigating an alleged domestic violence incident from earlier this summer, sources told Brittany Ghiroli of The Athletic.

While it's unclear when the alleged incident occurred, Castro was initially placed on the restricted list on June 16 for "some family matters," manager Dave Martinez said at the time, according to Jesse Dougherty of the Washington Post.

Castro left the team on June 15 and reportedly briefly returned home to the Dominican Republic.

Martinez reportedly said the team only learned of the allegations against Castro on Thursday night. He said he would have spoken differently about Castro and his June leave had he known, according to Maria Torres of The Athletic.

"We do not tolerate any kind of domestic abuse," Martinez said, according to Jessica Camerato of MLB.com.

Comments
Nats' Castro on leave amid reported domestic violence investigation
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!

Daily Newsletter

Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox