Report: Red Sox don't have Lester on their radar

MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN - SEPTEMBER 08: Jon Lester #34 of the Chicago Cubs reacts in the fourth inning against the Milwaukee Brewers at Miller Park on September 08, 2019 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Dylan Buell / Getty Images Sport / Getty

A reunion between the Boston Red Sox and pitcher Jon Lester appears unlikely.

The Red Sox haven't expressed interest in signing Lester, a source told WEEI's Rob Bradford.

Lester, who had his 2021 option declined by the Chicago Cubs in October, previously mentioned being open to a Red Sox return.

"I'm open-minded to anything," Lester told Bradford last May. "Absolutely, it would be cool to go back and finish my career where it all started,"

The 36-year-old was drafted by the Red Sox in 2002 and spent his first nine big-league seasons with Boston. During that time, he won 110 games, threw a no-hitter, and was a three-time All-Star. He also won two World Series with the Red Sox (2007, 2013).

Boston traded Lester to the Oakland Athletics in 2014, where he spent half a season before departing for the Cubs via a six-year, $155-million contract.

Lester lived up to the large terms of his Chicago deal, authoring a 77-44 record with a 3.64 ERA and 3.86 FIP for the Cubs. He was also named NLCS MVP in 2016, the same season the Cubs broke their 108-year World Series curse.

The veteran southpaw has drawn interest in free agency, with the San Francisco Giants reportedly eyeing him for their rotation.

XRedditFacebookWhatsAppEmailSMS
MORE STORIES
Los Angeles Dodgers on X
Los Angeles Dodgers
@Dodgers

Kyle for the lead!

Dodgers' Tucker finally snaps 0-for-26 skid with RBI double 😅

@Dodgers on X
Milwaukee Brewers on X
Milwaukee Brewers
@Brewers

CHAOS IN THE FIRST

Brewers' Bauers doesn't realize Raleigh dropped ball at home, scores anyway 🤯

@Brewers on X