Dustin Pedroia's comeback might have just been halted.
The Boston Red Sox second baseman left Wednesday's loss to the New York Yankees after just one at-bat due to left knee discomfort, and the news doesn't sound promising. Manager Alex Cora said postgame that Pedroia felt "something weird" during one of his swings, and added that the former AL MVP will stay in New York to be examined by doctors, according to Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com.
"He was down. I haven't seen him like that," Cora added. "Hopefully, it's nothing serious and something where he just got scared. We'll know more tomorrow."
Cora said it's likely the Red Sox add a second baseman to the roster ahead of Friday's game in Tampa Bay, according to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe. It appears likely that Tzu-Wei Lin will get the call from Triple-A, as the other potential option, Brock Holt, is on the IL with an eye injury and not yet ready to play.
Pedroia, a mainstay in Boston for the better part of a decade, appeared in just three games last season because of knee issues stemming from surgery in late 2017. After beginning 2019 with another rehab stint, he was activated in time for the Red Sox home opener last week.
The 35-year-old has played in just six games this season, and owns a .100/.143/.100 slash line with an RBI, a walk, and two strikeouts.