Germany to play Netherlands in friendly as World Cup plans firm up
Berlin, Jan 14, 2022 (AFP) - Germany will play the Netherlands in their first away match of 2022, it was announced Friday, as part of preparations for this year's World Cup in Qatar.
The Germans will face the Dutch in a friendly in Amsterdam on March 29, three days after a warm-up match against Israel on home soil in Sinsheim, near Heidelberg.
The Germans also have tough Nations League games this June against Euro 2020 champions Italy and runners-up England as well as Hungary to prepare for the World Cup, which kicks off in November.
"I'm very happy that the timetable for the 2022 World Cup is now in place and we can start preparing," head coach Hansi Flick told the German FA (DFB) website.
"After being drawn in a highly attractive Nations League group, we have found very interesting opposition for the first international matches in March."
Flick hopes the March friendlies against Israel and the Netherlands will give the Germans a "good indicator" of their form.
- Brazil's friendly vs. Argentina in June canceled; Jesus recalled
- Italy captain Chiellini retiring from national team after Finalissima
- Jeers for Maguire reignite old feud between England and its fans
- Mbappe shines, France cruises to victory against South Africa
- Southgate calls booing of Maguire 'an absolute joke'