Max Verstappen says he could leave Formula 1 if proposed rule changes for 2027 aren't passed.
"If it stays like this, it's going to be a long year next year, which I don't want," Verstappen said Saturday after qualifying at the Canadian Grand Prix, according to Jon Noble of The Race. "It's just mentally not doable for me to stay like this. Absolutely not."
The FIA announced earlier in May that tweaks had been agreed upon for 2027. Those would see a 50kW increase in power from the internal combustion engine and an identical decrease in electrical output. However, the proposal still has to be presented to the World Motor Sport Council to be voted on.
Verstappen has been critical of the new regulations and cars on multiple occasions this season and even publicly discussed the possibility of an early retirement. The Red Bull driver has also explored other racing series, recently participating in a 24-hour endurance race at the Nurburgring in a GT3 car.
The four-time world champion said Thursday that the proposed changes would "definitely" boost his chances of staying in the sport.
"I just want a good product in Formula 1, and that will for sure improve the product," Verstappen said.












