Leylah Fernandez upset by Maddison Inglis at Australian Open
Canadian tennis sensation Leylah Fernandez is out of the Australian Open after losing to Maddison Inglis in straight sets 6-4, 6-2 in a first-round showdown Tuesday.
Inglis, a native of Perth, Australia, had plenty of hometown support on her side during the upset win.
The 24-year-old used an outstanding service game to overwhelm Fernandez, landing 75% of first serves en route to her first main-draw win at a major.
Inglis also had 14 winners and saved all three break points she faced throughout the match.
This was the No. 23-ranked Fernandez's first Grand Slam appearance since she finished as the runner-up to Emma Raducanu in last year's US Open final.
Inglis is ranked No. 133 by the WTA behind four other Australian players, including No. 1-ranked Ashleigh Barty.
- Swiatek's versatility behind her impressive 28-match winning streak
- Swiatek defends Italian Open title with 28th straight win
- Iga Swiatek equals Serena Williams with 27-match winning streak
- Swiatek asserts No. 1 status with win over Andreescu in Rome
- Svitolina: Russian, Belarusian players must address war in Ukraine