Weidemann takes silver in 5000m for 2nd medal in Beijing
Canadian long track speed skating star Isabelle Weidemann claimed silver in the women's 5000m event on Thursday, winning her second medal of the Beijing Olympics.
Irene Schouten of the Netherlands took gold, breaking an Olympic record that stood for 20 years by more than three seconds.
Czechia's Martina Sablikova took bronze.
Weidemann's silver is the 12th medal for the Canadians in Beijing. The 26-year-old from Ottawa won bronze in the 3000m on Saturday for Canada's first medal of the 2022 Games.
Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen are the only other Canadian women to win a medal in the 5000m.
- Blazers' Simons returns vs. Warriors after missing 18 games with thumb injury
- Report: Angels agree to 1-year, $1.65M deal with Cimber
- Giants' Jones: Knee surgery limited to ACL
- Fantasy Podcast: Searching for value in risky offenses, bold predictions
- Jaguars' Lawrence making progress, 'hopefully playing' vs. Browns