Mystics trade No. 1 pick to Dream for package including 3rd overall pick
The Atlanta Dream will make the first selection in the 2022 WNBA draft.
Atlanta acquired the No. 1 pick from the Washington Mystics on Wednesday in a deal that sent the third overall pick and a second-round selection (14th overall) in this year's draft to Washington, the teams announced. The Mystics will also have the right to swap with the Dream's first-round pick in 2023, which originally belonged to the Los Angeles Sparks.
The Dream are targeting a group of players with the top pick, including Rhyne Howard (Kentucky), NaLyssa Smith (Baylor), Naz Hillmon (Michigan), Shakira Austin (Ole Miss), and Nyara Sabally (Oregon), a source told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Brandon Sudge.
Teams also exchanged the first overall pick in the days leading up to the 2021 draft. After first acquiring the selection from the New York Liberty, the Seattle Storm then flipped the pick to the Dallas Wings, who took Charli Collier out of Texas.
- Wilson scores 27, Aces beat Fever to stay undefeated
- Mitchell's late basket lifts Lynx over Mystics for 1st win of season
- Parker reaches 8th on WNBA's all-time scoring list as Aces top Dream
- Sun's Thomas sets team record for assists in win over Lynx
- Dream's Rhyne Howard aims to be WNBA's next 'generational talent'