Jansen says he won't play for Netherlands at WBC
The Netherlands' first game of the opening round of the World Baseball Classic went well enough when it shut out Korea 5-0 on Tuesday, but the team also received some bad news in the process.
"I’m not ready for it," Jansen told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times. "I’m not playing."
The 29-year-old right-hander, who is one of the top closers in the majors, was listed as a member of the Netherlands' designated pitcher pool, which meant he was available to participate in one or more rounds at some point during the event.
However, it appears Jansen is going to instead focus on getting ready for the Dodgers and taking it slow as he transitions into the season.
"I have to ease into the year," he explained. "It’s not smart to rush."
Jansen, who participated in both the 2009 and 2013 WBC, made 71 appearances for the Dodgers last season, finishing second in the National League in saves with 47.
- Report: Wall plans to sign with Clippers after Rockets buyout
- Nevin gets 10-game ban, 11 others from Angels-M's brawl suspended
- Giants' Thibodeaux 'fully healthy' after dealing with minor hip injury
- Lakers' Monk: Money isn't biggest priority in free agency
- Mariners' Servais: People like to see baseball fights, but this 'isn't hockey'