Spartak beat Napoli to take top spot in Europa League group
Moscow, Nov 24, 2021 (AFP) - Aleksandr Sobolev's first-half double helped Spartak Moscow to a 2-1 home victory over Serie A leaders Napoli on Wednesday which moved the Russians top of their Europa League group.
All four teams can still progress from Group C and the winner of Leicester's game against Legia Warsaw at the King Power Stadium on Thursday would replace Spartak at the summit.
After a fast start to the season, Napoli are now winless in three games in all competitions after taking just one point from their last two Serie A matches.
Russian international Sobolev gave Spartak, who lost 3-2 in Naples earlier in the campaign, the lead with a third-minute penalty before netting again before the half-hour mark.
Eljif Elmas pulled one back for the visitors in the second period, but Napoli could not find an equaliser.
Luciano Spalletti's side slip below Spartak on head-to-head away goals.
- Sevilla win 7th Europa League title after beating Roma on penalties
- Mourinho raises further doubts over future after UEL heartache
- Watch: Roma's Dybala makes mark in UEL final with slick goal
- Sevilla's Europa League love affair gives them the edge
- Mourinho's Roma through to Europa League final after draw at Leverkusen