Spartak beat Napoli to take top spot in Europa League group
Moscow, Nov 24, 2021 (AFP) - Aleksandr Sobolev's first-half double helped Spartak Moscow to a 2-1 home victory over Serie A leaders Napoli on Wednesday which moved the Russians top of their Europa League group.
All four teams can still progress from Group C and the winner of Leicester's game against Legia Warsaw at the King Power Stadium on Thursday would replace Spartak at the summit.
After a fast start to the season, Napoli are now winless in three games in all competitions after taking just one point from their last two Serie A matches.
Russian international Sobolev gave Spartak, who lost 3-2 in Naples earlier in the campaign, the lead with a third-minute penalty before netting again before the half-hour mark.
Eljif Elmas pulled one back for the visitors in the second period, but Napoli could not find an equaliser.
Luciano Spalletti's side slip below Spartak on head-to-head away goals.
- UEL roundup: Heartbreak for Celtic as West Ham and Rangers advance
- Manchester United-linked Rodgers keeps focus on Leicester
- Conte refuses to set timeframe for ending Spurs' trophy drought
- The Best Awards: FIFA reveals shortlists for 2021 honors
- UEL roundup: West Ham, Lyon, Frankfurt advance; Vardy misses PK in draw