VIDEO: USA's Matthews goes around Finnish defense for backhand goal at NJEC
The early hype about 2016 draft-eligible prospect Auston Matthews may very well be warranted.
A day after the 17-year-old announced his signing with Zurich Schlittschuh Lions of the Swiss Hockey League, Matthews was back on the ice for the USA at the National Junior Evaluation Camp on Saturday, and he put on a show.
Matthews opened the scoring against Finland with a beauty of a solo effort en route to a 6-1 win for the Americans.
Matthews later set up a goal with an impressive behind-the-back pass, giving clubs a reason to consider tanking for next summer's first overall pick before the season even begins.
- Tavares collects 2 points in 1,000th game to help Leafs beat Capitals
- Aho extends goal streak to 4 as Hurricanes hand Bruins 3rd straight loss
- Leafs' Murray out until after All-Star break with ankle injury
- Penguins' Sullivan: 'I've gotta do a better job coaching these guys'
- Bowness calls out Jets after listless loss to Flyers