Dreger: Oilers in the market for center, Petry's 'name is out there'
The Edmonton Oilers are looking for a center and are considering defenseman Jeff Petry as a trade candidate, according to Darren Dreger of TSN.
"The Edmonton Oilers are weak up the middle of the ice and we know that Craig MacTavish is looking for a center," Dreger said on Insider Trading Wednesday afternoon.
"Not to suggest that they're shopping (Petry) ... It's not a perfect scenario to have an 18-year-old in Leon Draisaitl as your second line center ... But (Petry's) a piece of the puzzle they might use if there is a center who fits with their need."
The young Oilers have their fair share of wingers in the system and are looking at defensemen Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse's potential before making any deals.
The Detroit Red Wings have a deep team and are known for grooming players in the AHL before they make their debuts. If the Oilers want to trade Petry, who is a right-handed defenseman, the Red Wings are looking.
- Bratt's 1st hat trick lifts Devils to comeback win over Lightning
- Carlson details head injury from slap shot: 'I just got struck by lightning'
- Rookie netminder Hofer makes 33 saves as Blues blank Jets
- Kerfoot scores in 9th round of SO, Maple Leafs top Senators
- Hagel records hat trick as Lightning edge Canadiens