Penguins sign Steve Downie; guarantees 'liberties' won't be taken on Crosby, Malkin
The Pittsburgh Penguins signed free agent forward Steve Downie to a one-year contract Wednesday. The forward is coming off ear surgery on both ears to improve his hearing.
He made a guarantee to the Penguins fans and media Thursday night saying Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin will not be taken advantage of next season.
Downie is known as a bit of a trouble maker and is on his third team in six years, including bookend visits to the Philadelphia Flyers in 2007-08 and last season.
- Boeser up to league-leading 17 goals as Canucks hand Ducks 7th straight loss
- Canucks trade Beauvillier to Blackhawks
- Blackhawks terminating Perry's contract due to 'unacceptable' conduct
- Watch: Leafs squeak out shootout victory after Panthers' winner overturned
- 4 takeaways from Patrick Kane's decision to sign with the Red Wings