Sharks' Vlasic leaves Game 5 with apparent upper-body injury
San Jose Sharks defenseman and Canadian Olympian Marc-Edouard Vlasic did not return for the second period of Game 5 after sustaining an apparent upper-body injury on a hit by Kings forward Jarrett Stoll late in the first frame.
Here's the play on which Vlasic appears to have been injured. Stoll was assessed a minor roughing penalty for the hit:
[By @NHLupdate, courtesy CBC]
It's not immediately clear whether or not Vlasic will be available to return later in this contest, but with the result already out of hand, it seems unlikely.
Vlasic had the third best on-ice shot attempt differential among all NHL defenseman, and led all Sharks skaters in minutes logged per game during the regular season. This could be a massive loss for the Sharks.
- Dumba not worried about trade, extension entering contract year
- Canucks' Boeser expected to miss start of season after hand surgery
- Fantasy: 5 potential NHL sleepers to steal late in drafts
- Ranking the NHL's 6 best defense pairings entering 2022-23
- Panarin seeking more complete game: 'I need to be everywhere'