Leafs sign 2023 1st-rounder Easton Cowan to entry-level deal
The Toronto Maple Leafs signed 2023 first-round pick Easton Cowan to a three-year, entry-level contract Thursday, the team announced.
The selection of Cowan at 28th overall came as a bit of a surprise, as most analysts projected him to be picked in the second or third round.
Cowan, a native of Mount Brydges, Ontario, said it was a "dream" to be picked by his hometown Maple Leafs.
The speedy winger collected 53 points in 68 games with the OHL's London Knights last season, adding nine goals and 12 assists in 20 postseason contests. He figures to play a more sizeable role for the Knights in 2023-24.
- Wild sign Zuccarello, Foligno to contract extensions
- Shesterkin shifting mindset after down year: 'I was too hard on myself'
- Chris Snow's legacy, Bedard ready to get on with it, and 5 other NHL items
- NHL Watchability Rankings: The top 16
- Bargain-bin goalies Lightning could target with Vasilevskiy injured