Maple Leafs' Tavares to miss at least 3 weeks with oblique strain
With the Leafs' campaign beginning Oct. 12 against the Montreal Canadiens, the captain is in danger of missing at least the first week of the 2022-23 season.
Tavares, 32, finished fourth on the team with 76 points (27 goals, 49 assists) in 79 games last season while averaging just over 18 minutes per contest. He added three goals and three assists in the Maple Leafs' first-round loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The Mississauga, Ontario, native signed with the Maple Leafs as an unrestricted free agent in 2018. He is about to enter the fifth season of a seven-year, $77-million pact.
- Marner: Matching Leafs' point-streak record was a 'special moment'
- Draisaitl, McDavid help Oilers hand Blackhawks 8th straight loss
- Renewable energy: Cup-hunting Lightning betting on internal growth
- Penguins' Letang out indefinitely after having stroke
- Pat Maroon donates to mental health charity after broadcaster's comments