Lightning sign Paul to 7-year extension with $3.15M AAV
Paul was set to become an unrestricted free agent July 13. The Lightning acquired him from the Ottawa Senators at this past season's trade deadline for Mathieu Joseph and a 2024 fourth-round pick.
Paul was an immediate fit in Tampa, recording 14 points in 21 regular-season games. He played a key role in helping the club reach its third consecutive Stanley Cup Final, producing nine playoff points while averaging over 18 minutes per contest.
His previous deal paid him $1.35 million per season.
The Lightning are currently above the league's $82.5-million salary limit for next season. Paul was one of the club's key free agents this summer, along with veteran winger Ondrej Palat. Tampa Bay is reportedly working on finding a trade with defenseman Ryan McDonagh to help clear some cap space.
- Ducks' Vaakanainen stretchered off after crashing into boards
- Marner open to trying out defenseman role
- Dumba talks 'Black Ice' doc, beware Flames' D corps, and goalie goals
- Habs GM: Slafkovsky's preseason play has been 'a little underwhelming'
- Ranking the NHL's top 5 goaltending duos for the 2022-23 season