Avs' Girard out for playoffs after breaking sternum
Girard was taken to the hospital after he got crunched into the boards by Blues forward Ivan Barbashev during the first period.
No penalty was called on the play.
Here's how the Avalanche spread out the minutes on defense on Saturday:
Byram will likely be tasked with taking Girard's spot on the second pairing with Manson moving forward. Veteran Jack Johnson is the most logical candidate to enter the lineup and could slot in on the third pairing. Kurtis MacDermid and Ryan Murray are also options, although the latter hasn't played since March 21 due to a hand injury.
Girard entered Saturday with three points in six games this postseason. He tallied five goals and 23 assists in 67 regular-season contests while averaging 21:38 per game - the third-most minutes on the team.
- Report: Pens not speaking regularly with Malkin, 2 years apart in Letang talks
- Superlative awards for the 2021-22 NHL season
- The Hall of Fame's perpetual rejection of Alexander Mogilny must be rectified
- Companies pause Hockey Canada sponsorships amid sexual assault scandal
- From joke to juggernaut: Avalanche's well-earned Cup completes cycle