Report: Next World Cup of Hockey could take place in February 2024
Fans craving a best-on-best international hockey tournament may get their wish in February 2024.
The NHL and NHLPA met last week to start planning the 2024 World Cup of Hockey, and there's a "strong possibility" it could take place in February of that year, sources told TSN's Pierre LeBrun.
The last three World Cups (2016, 2004, 1996) all took place in September - ahead of the upcoming seasons. The 2024 event would be the first World Cup to take place in the middle of a campaign.
There were initially plans for a World Cup of Hockey in 2021, but the league called it off in December 2019 due to a lack of planning time.
The NHL was supposed to attend the 2022 Olympics in Beijing, but COVID-19 derailed those plans.
There hasn't been a best-on-best international hockey tournament since the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. Canada won that event, sweeping Team Europe in the best-of-three final.
- Bedard condemns Perry social media rumor: 'It's just a bunch of B.S.'
- Examining the Penguins' struggling power play, and other unexpected NHL trends
- Merzlikins makes 41 saves to hand Senators 3rd straight loss
- Devils' Hamilton out indefinitely with torn pectoral muscle
- Sharks score 6 goals on 18 shots to down Devils in 1st road win of season