Jets activate Wheeler, place Ehlers on LTIR
Wheeler was subsequently inserted into the lineup for Saturday's clash with the Boston Bruins. The veteran forward hadn't played since Dec. 10 due to a leg injury.
Ehlers took a knee-on-knee hit from the Washington Capitals' Dmitry Orlov on Tuesday; the defenseman was suspended two games for the incident. Ehlers was ruled week-to-week with an MCL sprain, but the move to LTIR means he can't return until Feb. 14 at the earliest.
Wheeler entered Saturday with one goal and 16 assists in 22 games this season while Ehlers has tallied 25 points in 34 contests.
- MacKinnon: Avalanche were 'really bad' in Game 2 loss
- 'A fatal mistake': Panthers, Brunette bemoan Lightning's late Game 2 winner
- Bruins president noncommittal on Cassidy's future: 'We'll see where it goes'
- Sutter, Brunette, Gallant voted Jack Adams Award finalists
- Oilers turning back to Smith for Game 2