Report: Lightning place Kucherov on LTIR
This guarantees the Russian superstar will miss at least 10 games and 24 days. It also means the $9.5-million average annual value on Kucherov's contract won't count against the cap for the time being.
Kucherov departed Saturday's game against the Washington Capitals with what appeared to be a lower-body injury after colliding with Garnet Hathaway.
Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said Monday that the ailment is "definitely not a day-to-day thing" and that Kucherov is "going to be out for a while."
Kucherov spent the entirety of the 2020-21 campaign on LTIR while recovering from offseason hip surgery, allowing the Lightning to stay cap compliant without trading away any key players. He returned for the playoffs and helped guide the Bolts to their second straight Stanley Cup.
- Barkov hopes Brunette returns: 'He did an unbelievable job'
- Oilers take commanding 3-1 series lead with Game 4 win over Flames
- The battles to watch in Oilers-Flames as Calgary tries to save its season
- Report: PWHPA, Billie Jean King Enterprises exploring new women's hockey league
- Rangers power past Hurricanes in Game 4 to even series