Sami Vatanen signs in Switzerland
Unrestricted free-agent defenseman Sami Vatanen is taking his talents to Switzerland.
The Geneve-Servette Hockey Club of the National League announced it has signed the 30-year-old until the end of the 2021-22 season.
Vatanen most recently suited up for the Dallas Stars after the team picked him up off waivers in April. He didn't register a point over nine contests while averaging just over 16 minutes of ice time per game.
Prior to that brief stint, the blue-liner spent four seasons with the New Jersey Devils beginning in 2017-18. Vatanen also enjoyed a postseason run with the Carolina Hurricanes after being traded in 2020, notching three points over seven games. He then re-signed with the Devils on a one-year deal.
Vatanen has recorded 200 points over 473 career NHL games since becoming the Anaheim Ducks' fourth-round pick in 2009.
- Gorton: Canadiens will be transparent if they commit to rebuild
- Getzlaf week-to-week with lower-body injury
- Hart Trophy Power Rankings: McDavid reigns despite Draisaitl's surge
- 'When you go up, don't come back': How the Red Wings are building from within
- NHL weekend preview: Panthers to stay hot vs. Binnington-less Blues