Capitals to become 1st NHL team with jersey ads in 2022-23
The Washington Capitals will be the first NHL club to feature advertisements on their uniforms after agreeing to a multi-year deal with Caesars Sportsbook.
Beginning in 2022-23, the Capitals' home and third jerseys for games played at Capital One Arena in Washington will include the Caesars logo.
The team teased the new look Friday morning.
The jersey patch is 3-by-3 1/2-inches in size, according to The Athletic's Sean Shapiro, who adds that Washington's road sweaters will include an ad from a different sponsor, which the club is finalizing.
In August, it was reported NHL teams would begin placing ads on jerseys starting in the 2022-23 campaign. The league allowed helmet ads in 2021 as a way for clubs to recoup money lost due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
NBA teams have sold ad space on their jerseys since 2017-18. The MLS started doing so in 2007.
- Penguins hire Dubas as president of hockey operations
- Leafs GM Treliving addresses Matthews, Keefe, Core 4 in intro presser
- Agent expects Pettersson extension talks to begin this summer
- Patrick Kane given 4-6 months recovery timeline after hip surgery
- Caps' Carbery: Ovi's pursuit of goals record 'a huge responsibility for me'