Kings extend Petersen on 3-year deal with $5M AAV
Petersen has one season left on his current pact, which he inked with Los Angeles in the summer of 2019. It carries a cap hit of $858,333, according to CapFriendly.
The soon-to-be 27-year-old took the reins as the Kings' No. 1 netminder last season, going 9-18-5 with a .911 save percentage while starting 32 of the 35 games he played.
However, his underlying numbers were more favorable. He ranked 11th in the NHL with 6.22 goals saved above expected and 21st in the league with 3.48 goals saved above average at five-on-five in 2021, according to Evolving Hockey.
Last season was Petersen's third with Los Angeles. The Iowa-born puck-stopper posted a .923 save percentage across 19 games in his first two campaigns.
The Buffalo Sabres drafted him 129th overall in 2013, but he chose not to sign with them in 2017, instead inking an entry-level deal with the Kings that same year.
- Blackhawks legend Bobby Hull dies at 84
- NHL Power Rankings: Each team's best player not attending the All-Star Game
- NHL Monday best bets: Jets to rebound vs. struggling Blues
- Aho extends goal streak to 4 as Hurricanes hand Bruins 3rd straight loss
- Tavares collects 2 points in 1,000th game to help Leafs beat Capitals